Good Morning, Cowboys and Cowgirls!
First, hats off to you and your newly organized linen closets!
I’m writing to you from Cincinnati, where I’m spending the holiday weekend seeing family and enjoying a crisp fall getaway. As I packed for this trip, it occurred to me that for many people, the process of packing for travel can be a kind of scavenger hunt–running around grabbing all the travel items you’ll need from every corner of the home. So I thought it’d be beneficial for us all to do one comprehensive scavenger hunt for travel supplies, organizing this category in order to simplify your future packing experiences.
Saddle up, put 10 minutes on the clock, and Get Ready…Get set…GO!
1. Grab a bag or box and lasso all the travel-related items you can find in your home. Don’t forget the travel sized toiletries, travel chargers and adaptors, neck pillows and other flying accessories, passport, foreign money, travel documents…
2. Spread out the whole kit-and-caboodle. Sort the items into categories.
3. Take a look at these piles and notice what’s accumulated. Do you have a tendency to stock up on travel gadgets that you never remember to bring? Finding yourself looking at an impressive hotel shampoo collection that never dwindles? Take note of this and think about what really makes sense for you to keep based on what you are reasonably likely to use. Toss anything that is expired, irrelevant, or something you know you won’t use.
4. For the remaining items, make it easy on yourself to find what you need when you need it next. Designate a travel station where these items will be kept. Store like items with like with boxes or baggies–travel chargers and electronics together, toiletries together, documents and money together, etc.
Time’s Up! Kick off your boots and congratulate yourself on completing your sixth challenge.
I’d love to see your progress, so keep those pictures a-comin’! (I’ll always ask your permission before sharing your photos or comments)
This picture and brilliant idea is from my cousins Grace and Janet here in Cincinnati: turn your surplus travel supplies into a hospitality basket for guests! They keep it under the sink in the guest bathroom.
For the more adventurous lot, take the next step in this challenge. Here are a few of my favorite travel organization tools. (click on the image to take you to the product link)
1) This Grid-It! keeps your electronics organized and easily accessible when you’re traveling. No more digging around in your bags to find your earphone or charger.
2) This Jewelry Organizer is a great way to organize, store, transport, and protect your jewelry in your suitcase. Lots of little compartments make it easy to find what you need when you need it.
3) Storing your travel supplies by category in these Stackable Drawers makes it easy to grab what you need in a flash.